Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Further up and further in!

I love the "Chronicles of Narnia." Something about them makes my heart come alive. One of my favorite parts is the ending from "The Last Battle." If you've never read the series, it is worth reading and re-reading. My words cannot do the writings of literary great C.S. Lewis justice, but trust me, they are wonderfully refreshing to read. (Trix are not just for kids either ;) )

In the last few chapters, the world of Narnia comes to an end, and all the creatures who were true to Aslan get to go with him into "Aslan's country." (It is a beautiful picture of the end times and the new heaven and earth) As they begin to explore the new "world" they realize that everything seems to be familiar. It looks similar to the old Narnia, yet more real somehow. It is as if the original Narnia was but a shadow or mirage of the real thing. All the creatures race deeper into this new world bursting with unimaginable joy and depth of experience. As they continue on into the country, the interior seems to get larger and more true - they enter a garden with golden walls, and the inside is larger than the outside - like peeling an onion backwards!

My favorite line of all is when the unicorn cries "further up and further in!" It is a call to join in the adventure with absolute abandon. To be swept up into a reality that is more wild and more real than anything experienced before. Where each door opens up to something greater, where things are more than we could ever dare to imagine. For,"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." (Is 55:9)

I look forward to the day when we can enter into the joy of eternity, when all things will be made right and new. The imagery from C.S. Lewis writings often keeps me going when things get tough. As much as possible, I want to live in a deeper reality in this lifetime as well. "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." (Philippians 3:12)

Stay tuned - I will post my thoughts on how I'm beginning this process of living in true reality next time!