Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Personal Christmas

It's Christmas time again. I'm taking a slight detour prior to continuing my train of thought from the last post.

For some reason John 3:16 is stuck in my head. This is one of those verses we've all heard at least 10,000 times.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

The personal application of this statement finally hit home. I'm not sure why I finally got it after 25+ years, or why I didn't get it sooner. I remember having to recite this verse as a class in Sunday school with our own name in place of "the world" - but I don't think I ever believed that I was actually included. As I've been sitting and enjoying our Christmas tree over the last few days, I've been picturing the night Jesus came to earth clothed as a baby. He came incognito to rescue me. I am part of "the world" and I am a "whoever." Jesus came for me personally as He has also come for you. I hope that during the hustle and bustle of the season, your heart remembers this verse in a personal way as well. Christmas is about the insertion of a spec ops unit whose mission was to rescue our hostage hearts!

"Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift!" 2 Cor 9:15

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen Courtney - thanks for sharing your heart and what the Lord is doing.

Dawn-Marie